Explore the research
Tap into our knowledge on Canada’s environmental labour market.
For over two decades, we’ve worked with policy makers, industry leaders, employers, and professionals to study the Canadian environmental labour market.
Our findings help inform the decisions made by governments, industry planners, educators and future and current environmental professionals.
Our labour market research is funded by the Government of Canada’s Sectoral Initiatives program and adheres to strict research guidelines.
Explore the research
Search by topic to view the available research publications and reports.
Environmental Career Choice & Planning
Plan your ideal environmental career path with detailed info on the top employers, skills requirements, and available jobs in different environmental sub-sectors.
- Land Your Dream Green Job
- Careers in Site Assessment and Reclamation
- Careers in Air Quality
- Careers in Environmental Professional Services
- Careers in Energy
- Careers in Sustainability
- Careers in Water Quality
- Careers in Environmental Health and Safety
Snapshots of Supply and Demand
- Sustainability Snapshot
- Air Quality Snapshot
- Site Assessment & Reclamation Snapshot
- Energy Snapshot
- Environment Health and Safety Snapshot
- Water Quality Snapshot
Canadian Environmental Employment
Explore the trends that define the overall demand for environmental workers in Canada.
- Profile of Canadian Environmental Employment – Series
- Canadian Environmental Sector Trends – Series
- Environmental Employment by Province – Based on 2013 data
Green Economy and Green Jobs
Explore green employment opportunities and impacts of the green economy.
- The Green Jobs Map: Tracking Employment through Canada’s Green Economy – Series
- Defining the Green Economy
Labour Supply Issues
Learn more about the issues that impact sources of environmental workers in Canada.
- Building Operator Scoping Study
- Municipal Water & Waste Management
- Solid Waste Management Labour Market Study
- Post-Secondary Environmental Education in Canada – Series
- Labour Mobility Between EU and Canada
- Labour Market Transition: A Remedy for Labour Shortages in the Environment
National Occupational Standards
Review our National Occupational Standards (NOS) to see how environmental employment is defined and measured.
HR Strategies & Management
Customize your HR strategy with these reports on building, motivating, and engaging your environmental team.
- Inspire Your Staff to Say I Love My Job
- HR Best Practices Report – Series
- Professional Engagement Study: What Motivates Environmental Employees?
- Aboriginal Recruitment Guide
- HR Insights for Employers
- Characteristics of Canadian Environmental Practitioners – Series
ECO Canada’s research is funded by the Government of Canada’s Sectoral Initiatives Program. The opinions and interpretations of all publications are the authors’ and do not necessarily reflect those held by the Government of Canada.
Copyright © ECO Canada
All rights reserved. The use of any part of these publications, whether it is reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or means (including electronic, mechanical, photographic, photocopying or recording), without the prior written permission of ECO Canada is an infringement of copyright law.