Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Site C Wildlife/Vegetation Mitigation & Monitoring Lead
Job Number: BCH-R-8206-170412E1
Job Location: Vancouver (Dunsmuir), British Columbia, Canada
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
The successful candidate will lead the wildlife/vegetation mitigation and monitoring program for the Site C Clean Energy Project. This program covers multiple wildlife and vegetation related mitigation and monitoring programs from concept and design phases through to construction and long-term effectiveness monitoring. The scale and breadth of these topics combined represents a world class level of scope and complexity. The role also includes reviewing and responding to contractor submissions to ensure regulatory requirements are being met and managing a technical committee with Regulatory Agency representatives who are reviewing and modifying the mitigation and monitoring programs.
This position will be responsible for:
• Developing and maintaining various wildlife/vegetation mitigation and monitoring programs required by the Site C Environmental Assessment and Federal Decision Statements.
• Management of programs to address regulatory requirements.
• Annual work and budget planning, leadership of the wildlife/vegetation program for Site C.
• Managing the requirements of the vegetation and wildlife Technical Committee, an inter-agency committee established under the Site C Conditional Water Licence and managing any program scope changes required by this Committee.
• Managing budget, quality, safety and coordination for multiple on-site contractors that are delivering monitoring and mitigation programs. Managing the long-term workload forecast and budget/scope management for these programs.
• Providing expert environmental technical and regulatory advice within Site C and BC Hydro and liaises internally and externally with other environmental specialists and regulatory agencies in the investigation and resolution of technical and regulatory problems and the application of new or special environmental methods as they relate to Site C.
• Contributing to the overall success of all Site C mitigation and monitoring programs.
• Actively participating on the work of industry associations, and technical societies related to the area of specialty.
• Developing and fostering strong, effective relationships with First Nations, regulatory
• Perform a senior role within the Site C Environmental Compliance, Mitigation and Monitoring team and may from time to time deliver mentorship, advice, and guidance to help develop other team members.