The program placement starts once you and your employer host have received approval, been matched, and provided all final contracts and salary documentation.
Enhance Your Professional Marketability, Land Your Dream Job
Join over the nearly 6,000 professionals who have landed meaningful environmental jobs using this wage subsidy program. Get pre-approved for up to $15,000 in wages to help you market yourself!
Apply for pre-approval to become an ECO environmental professional candidate. Once you’ve been pre-approved, you’ll need to find an eligible employer to host your placement. This employer must also apply for and receive approval to participate in the program.
In order to be pre-approved to receive wage funding, you must meet all of the requirements below. No exceptions to the eligibility requirements will be made.
Candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Intend to lead an environmental career in STEM or natural resources
- 30 years of age or younger
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or have refugee status
- Graduated from a recognized post-secondary institution with a 2 year diploma or 4 year degree
- Able to work in a full-time, permanent position within 30 days from application
- Unemployed or underemployed
- Have not participated previously in a federal youth employment or education program
- Not currently employed as a paid employee at the employer host organization
- Not a family member of the employer host organization’s directors or senior officers
What Roles Are Eligible?
To be eligible for wage funding the role must be a full-time permanent position and have a positive environmental impact.
- Research assistant to collect historical data, run models, and assess climate change impacts
- Environmental coordinator determining and implementing best management practices for sustainable farming
- Lab technician analyzing water samples from sites to determine the contamination levels.
- Design engineer to develop environmental monitoring equipment for greenhouse gases.
- Energy Engineer to identify and quantify the opportunity for projects involving Demand Response, efficiency, renewable technologies, management and operating improvements to major energy using equipment.
- Home Energy Modeller to calculate thermal performance of building with a goal of recommending and implementing energy efficient options.
- Marine Geoscience Technologist to conduct geological, geophysical, geochemical, hydrographic or oceanographic surveys, prospecting field trips, exploratory drilling, well logging or underground mine survey programs.
- Forest Systems Modelling Specialist providing support and expertise on model-based systems and sub-systems, as well as educating and supporting the wider organizational objectives.
- Geomatics Technologist to conduct in-field surveys, office calculations and the production of plans to determine the exact locations and relative positions of natural features on the earth’s surface, underground and underwater.
- Software designer to create smart grid technologies.
- GIS analyst focused on animal movements in Northern Canada.
How It Works
1.We will review your application and email you within 10 business days with the status (approved, pending or declined).
2. Once you have found an eligible employer or they have approached you with the job opportunity, the employer must also apply for the program and receive approval. When both parties are approved, the employer host will contact us so that we can complete the match.
3. You are responsible for finding a host the same way as finding any other employment opportunities. Once you are an approved candidate, you will receive an information package that will help you market your candidacy and your pre-approval status.
4. After you and your employer host are matched, we’ll send a contract and Participation Information Form to start the placement. You will need to sign and send the candidate contract and Participant Information Form (PIF) back.
Check out the Frequently Asked Questions for more answers.
Ready to apply? Take our short eligibility quiz to get started now!