What do you need help with?

or choose the product/service you'd like help with:


  • Can my education count towards work experience?

    Education is not transferable to work experience. You must have a minimum of 5 years of relevant environmental work experience within Canada.

    Are there any exceptions for applicants who have many years of work experience abroad but none in Canada?

    As the EP designation is Canadian based, applicants must complete a minimum of one year of Canadian work experience with no exceptions.

    What if I am currently amidst obtaining my degree/diploma?

    You must have completed your education in order for the certification staff to confirm graduation. It is recommended that you apply once graduated.

    Can you become an EP/EPt if you are not a Canadian citizen?

    There are no stipulations on citizenship to obtain the EP/EPt designation. While EP/ EPt is a Canadian certification, it is widely recognised.

    What if I do not have a 2 year diploma/degree but I have extensive work experience?

    You must have completed a 2 year degree/diploma in order to qualify for the EP/EPt certification, no exceptions will be made.

    Can multiple certificates equate to a 2 year diploma/degree?

    Certificates will not be considered eligible education for the EP/EPt designations.

    Will these requirements change in a year or two when I am ready to apply as an EP/EPt?

    Eligibility requirements are subject to change – please check our latest Applicant Guide to ensure you have up to date information when applying.

    Is your designation provincially recognized?

    Although the EP/EPt designation is a national designation, it is not formally recognised by any specific provinces. To see if the EP/EPt designation meets your province’s specific requirements please follow up with your local regulator body.

    Does your certification provide regulatory sign-off?

    At this time, the EP/EPt designation does not provide regulatory sign-off.

    Is a course included in the EP/EPt application?

    At this time there are no courses or training included in the EP/EPt application process.

    Do I need to have a specific field of degree/diploma?

    As an EP/EPt you are not currently required to have a specific type of degree or diploma so long as it meets the 2 year minimum requirement.

    Does the EP/EPt designation assist with immigration Canada?

    The EP/EPt certification body is not involved or tied to any immigration services.

    Why become an EP?

    Top benefits include:

    • Establishes your professional credibility at a national level
    • Formally recognizes and verifies environmental skills and knowledge
    • Enhances marketability and mobility
    • Access to a growing community of environmental professionals
    • Offers valuable discounts and prequalification on liability insurance

    You renew your EP certification annually as a commitment to your career.

    Will my certification help me get a job?

    Although the EP/EPt designation does not guarantee employment, it does increase your credibility in the Canadian Environmental Sector and enhances your resume.

    To find out which companies prefer hiring EP professionals please visit our Job Board.

    Do certification staff provide job search assistance?

    Certification staff are not involved in any job searching activities for certified members, however should an employer wish to verify if a member is in good standing with their designation they may view our Public Roster

    Are there networking opportunities with the designation?

    ECO Canada hosts a variety of events across Canada in which we encourage EPs and EPts to attend, to find out more about upcoming events please visit our Events and Training Page.

    Why should I seek out the EP versus another designation?

    ECO Canada’s Environmental Professional (EP) certification provides formal recognition of your environmental expertise and professional integrity. The EP designation allows you to join a community of over 2,800 Environmental Professionals with a diverse background of professionals across Canada.

    What if I have worked part-time for 5 years?

    Part-time employment for 5 years would be the equivalent to 2.5 years of work experience for the EP designation. You would need another 2.5 years of work experience to qualify. However EPt does not require any work experience.

    Who is the CECAB board and what do they do?

    The Canadian Environmental Certification Approvals Board (CECAB) is responsible for the overseeing the administration, evaluation, ratification and governance of ECO Canada’s certification of EPs in Canada.

    What degree should I take to ensure entry into this certification?

    There is no specific degree at this time that is a mandatory requirement for the EP / EPt application. To learn more about educational programs ECO Canada supports however please feel free to check out our Master’s degrees in Environmental Practice and Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Practice.

  • What is the next step after I am approved?

    Once you are approved you will be required to submit a BackCheck form for education verification and complete your Self-Assessment.

    If I am not approved what are my options?

    If you do not meet the Eligibility Requirements for the EP designation you may still be eligible for the EPt designation. If you do not meet the requirements for the EPt designation then you will be unable to proceed with your application until the missing requirements are met.

    If I am not approved will I get a refund?

    The application fee is non-refundable, it is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure they meet qualifications prior to applying.

    What information is required for the initial review?

    You will be required to include your contact information, list three peers, resume or your employment history and your education.

    What if I forget to add something to my application once I submit it?

    Once your application is submitted you may log into your CECAB profile www.cecab.org to update any information that may have been missed.

    How do I know which specializations to select?

    As an EP we recommend you select specializations which relate to your work experience within the past 5 years. As an EPt we recommend you select specializations which relate to the career path you would like to currently pursue.

    Can I change my specializations in the future?

    You may apply for an Add Specialization application within your EP/EPt designation which will require only the self-assessment and peer validation processing. Fees to add specialisation

    Can I apply to become an EP in the future once I meet the requirements?

    Once you meet the requirements for an EP as an EPt you may apply for an EP Upgrade directly through your CECAB profile www.cecab.org

    Do I need to select the maximum number (2 EPt / 5 EP) of specializations?

    It is not necessary to select the maximum number of specializations to become certified. You need to select at least one specialization to proceed with your application.

    What if I need an extension on my application?

    We recommend that you complete your application as soon as possible, however if there are unforeseen circumstances please contact EP@eco.ca and your application will be put on hold.

    Am I now eligible for the EP discounts?

    You will not be eligible for discounts until you have become fully certified as an EP/EPt.

    How can I expedite the certification process?

    The timeliness of the completion of an application is depended upon the applicant and their peers completing the required steps in a timely manner. The average time from application to becoming certified is 1-3 months, depending on how quickly the applicant provides all the details.

    Why do I need to go through all these steps to become certified?

    As a result of representing all Environmental Professionals across Canada we expect our applicants to meet a certain level of competency requirements which are based on the National Occupational Standards of Canada, this requires multiple check points to ensure all applicants who are certified go through the same rigorous assessment.

    How can I ensure my application is successful?

    To ensure your application is successful please review the Applicant Guide which outlines the necessary criteria for an EP / EPt application.

    How long do certification staff hold an application open?

    Certification staff will hold an incomplete application open for one month, after which time the application will be temporarily deactivated. To re-activate an application please contact EP@eco.ca.

    What if I get an email saying my application has been deactivated?

    If your application has been deactivated for less than one year, certification staff will re-activate your account for you.

  • What if my education was obtained outside of Canada?

    If your education was obtained outside of Canada you must have your degree/diploma assessed for Canadian equivalency.


    To complete this requirement the following options are available to you:

    1. Contact an agency to perform the assessment for you and request that a copy of the assessment be mailed directly from the assessment agency to the ECO Canada office (see mailing address below, we do not accept opened, e-mailed, personal, or faxed copies);
    2. If you have already had an assessment of your education done, contact the assessment agency and request that a copy of the assessment be mailed directly from the assessment agency to the ECO Canada office (see mailing address below, we do not accept opened, e-mailed, personal, or faxed copies); or
    3. Request that ECO Canada confirm your credentials with an unofficial assessment for an additional $50 + tax.


    ECO Canada recommends that if you’ve not already had an assessment of your education done that you strongly consider pursuing option 1. This will ensure you receive an official assessment that can be used elsewhere.


    For a list of organizations that can perform the academic assessment for you, please visit the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC) website at http://www.cicic.ca/1374/obtain-an-academic-credential-assessment-for-general-purposes/index.canada.

    Why is it necessary to fill out a BackCheck form?

    In order for BackCheck to contact your school and confirm graduation they must receive consent from the applicant and require confidential information pertaining to the applicant’s degree/diploma.

    What if you are unable to confirm that I completed my degree/diploma?

    If BackCheck is unable to confirm education, the applicant will be required to arrange for a transcript to be sent to the ECO Canada office directly from the educational institution. If certification staff are still unable to confirm education then the applicant would not be eligible for certification.

    Can I email my transcripts or Canadian Equivalency documents directly to EP@eco.ca?

    Certification staff will under no exceptions accept electronic copies of proof of education sent from an applicant’s email.

    How long does it typically take to have your education confirmed?

    BackCheck normally takes 2 weeks to complete depending on the educational institution’s response time.

    What if I have not yet graduated?

    If you have not yet graduated but have already began your application, your application will be temporarily deactivated until graduation at which time certification staff may confirm your education.

    I have multiple degrees, which one should I use to verify my education?

    For the purpose of education verification certification staff recommend to use the most recent degree/diploma of 2 years obtained in Canada.

    I was previously certified with ECO Canada in a different designation, can I use my education verification from that designation for my current application?

    So long as certification staff are able to confirm documentation of the previous education verification, and the education verification meets the present requirements for the specified application then this information would be transferable.

    What if the school that I attended no longer exists?

    If the educational institution was a registered school in Canada then BackCheck should not have issues confirming the education.

    Does my school need to be accredited to be accepted for education verification?

    There are no requirements for the EP/EPt application which pertain specifically to accredited programs.

    Why is there a 2 year minimum requirement?

    The 2 year minimum requirement of a diploma / degree provides a unified baseline of the competency level required across all of the specializations within the EP/EPt designation.

  • What is the grading scheme for the self-assessment?

    The Self-Assessment is based on the NOS (National Occupational Standards) which consists of over 350 competencies – technical and transferable – which make up an NOS Dictionary.

    Technical competencies are statements describing the demonstrated ability to perform a task to the satisfaction of the employer.

    Transferable competencies are statements describing a behaviour or ‘soft skill’ that may contribute to the successful performance of various technical tasks in the area of practice.

    The NOS Dictionary is used to build profiles of grouped competencies for particular areas of practice (Air Quality, Sustainability, Policy & Legislation, etc.). These profiles are what you use to measure your skills against the NOS. There are 3 types of competencies within the NOS:

    1. Type 1 – a competency commonly shared by a majority of practitioners who carry out environmental work in a sector and are of critical importance to the successful performance of their work
    2. Type 2 – a competency commonly shared by the majority of practitioners and are of high importance
    3. Type 3 – a competency of critical importance to the successful performance of the work of at least half of the practitioners in a sector (usually associated with highly specialized positions and/or project-oriented work activities).


    As for the levels of experience:

    Each statement within the NOS is assigned an importance type. This importance type is the basis for how a particular competency is scored along with an individuals ‘Level’ of experience as defined in the image above. Please note that you do not need to have experience with all of the competencies, but a majority of them (and not all at a ‘Lead’ level either).

    In the self-assessment you are asked to indicate whether you have experience with each competency in the last 5 years. If you select ‘yes’ the competency is calculated along with the Level of experience indicated to determine a pass or fail for that specific statement. If you indicate no experience with a competency in the last 5 years the competency is not taken into account in the scoring, regardless of the level of experience indicated.

    I do not yet have work experience that relates to the specializations I chose, will this impact my self-assessment?

    If you are applying as an EPt this will not impact your self-assessment. If you are applying as an EP this may impact your self-assessment, it may be best to re-evaluate which competencies directly relate to the work experience listed in your profile.

    What are my options if I fail the self-assessment?

    If you fail the self-assessment you have the option to re-do the assessment a second time, switch specializations, or switch to an EPt application.

    Do I need to pass all my specializations in order to be eligible for the EP?

    It is not necessary to pass all specializations to become an EP however only the successfully completed specializations will show up on the Roster.

    Are there additional fees for re-taking the self-assessment or switching specializations at this point in the application?

    There are no additional fees included in re-taking the self-assessment or changing specializations within the application process.

    How long does the Self-Assessment take to complete?

    The self-assessment takes from 10-15 minutes to complete per specialization.

    Once I submit the Self-Assessment how long will it be until I receive the results?

    Applicants will be notified of their results within 5 business days from submission.

    What if I have been unemployed / on a leave of absence in the past 5 years?

    We ask that applicants only consider the past 5 years where they were working and not to consider the years of absence as part of the 5 years in consideration for the Self-Assessment.

    Does my education count towards experience in the Self-Assessment?

    If your education involved practical in field work experience then this would be acceptable however regular course work should not be considered.

    What if my experience is extremely specialized and does not encompass all the competencies listed in the self-assessment?

    We recognize that many individuals may have specialized careers in which they do not have experience in all of the competencies listed within a specialization. This is why we put the most weight on Type 1 statements which are considered competencies all environmental professionals should possess within a certain field. It is okay to have a variety of levels of experience within each competency however we do expect the competencies in which the applicant is specialized in to be at a high level of experience.

  • How long does completing the peer review take?

    The peer validation takes approximately 10-15 minutes per specialization for a peer to complete.

    How long is this peer validation process supposed to take?

    The timeliness of the peer review is dependent upon the completion of the peers’ evaluations. The applicant will receive a notification as soon as the peer invites are sent and it is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure their peers complete the evaluation.

    Who would make an appropriate peer?

    Appropriate peers would include supervisors, managers, colleagues, and clients. If you are an EPt and have yet to secure a position with an appropriate supervisor or manager, a professor, or professional mentor would be suitable as a peer.

    Who would be a peer considered to have a conflict of interest?

    Peers who would be considered a conflict of interest include employees who report to the applicant, friends with no professional association to the applicant, or family members of the applicant.

    How many peers am I allowed to list?

    You are allowed to list a maximum of 5 peers per specialization selected.

    When will my peers be contacted?

    EP peers will be contacted after the successful evaluation of the Self-Assessment. EPt peers will be contacted on a random selection basis once the Self-Assessment is complete.

    What are my responsibilities with regards to my peers completing their evaluations?

    It is the responsibility of the applicant to follow up with their peers and ensure their peers complete their evaluations in a timely manner.

    Can I change my peers once they have been contacted?

    If your peer has not already started their evaluation then they may be removed and replaced with another peer. It is the responsibility of the applicant to notify the peer who has been removed that their input is no longer required.

    What are my options if my peers fail me?

    If you are unsuccessful with your initial peer validation you may add up to two more peers given that you do not exceed the maximum allowance of 5 peers per specialization. If the validation is still unsuccessful you may switch your application to the EPt designation or change specializations.

    Can I remove a peer who gave me a poor review?

    Once a peer has started the evaluation they will not be deleted from an applicant’s profile unless there is a conflict of interest with the applicant and peer.

    Do I need all of my peers to complete the evaluation before moving forward in the process?

    At minimum three peers must complete the peer assessment for each specialization listed. If three peers have completed the evaluation and the results are successful the applicant may remove the incomplete peers and move forward in the process.

    What if one of my peers is unable to complete the evaluation?

    Please contact EP@eco.ca with contact information for a replacement peer.

    What type of evaluation should my peers expect to receive?

    The evaluation peers are sent is very similar to the self-assessment completed by the applicant. Peers will be asked to rate the amount and level of experience within each of the specializations selected.

  • How long does the Registrar review take?

    Once an application is complete, the Registrar will be in contact with the applicant within 5 business days.

    Am I certified once I receive registrar approval?

    You are not considered a certified member until the CECAB board approves your application and you pay your certification fees.

    When can I start putting my EP/EPt designation in my signature?

    Once you receive final notice from the Registrar that the CECAB board has approved your application you may then start using your EP/EPt designation.

    What if I become eligible for the EP by the time I get to Registrar Review?

    It is recommended that you complete your EPt designation and apply for the EP Upgrade after the board reviews and approves your file. This ensures that you can become certified right away and begin to experience the member benefits while you proceed with your upgrade.

  • Why is there a membership fee included once I become certified?

    Every EP/EPt member is required to pay an annual membership fee. The membership fee attached to your profile will be prorated based on the amount of months until the next certification renewal period.

    As an accredited grad am I required to pay a membership fee?

    Although accredited grads receive a free application, all members are required to pay their membership fee with no exceptions.

    What benefits can I now gain access to as a member?

    To view a list of all benefits available please log into your CECAB profile www.cecab.org where you will find a tab ‘Member Discounts’. Benefits include special discounts to ECO Canada events, webinars and workshops, discounts to products ands services.

    Are there any volunteer opportunities in my region now that I am certified?

    ECO Canada does not have affiliation with other volunteer bodies. Occasionally ECO Canada will host events in different areas across Canada, if you are interested in being listed as a possible volunteer for future events please email EP@eco.ca.

    How do I denote my designation in my communications?

    Depending on the designation you are certified for you may either include EP (Environmental Professional) or EPt (Environmental Professional in Training) beside your name.

    I was previously an EPt, am I getting charged twice for a membership fee?

    If you were previously an EPt in good standing your membership fee will be prorated based on the unused months of your EPt designation.

    How do I submit my EP/EPt Ethics Agreement to ECO Canada?

    Please send in your complete Ethics Agreement to ECO Canada via e-mail at EP@eco.ca

  • What are the annual maintenance requirements for my designation?

    Each EP is required to provide 10 credits of professional development on an annual basis. Please review the Member Guide found in your CECAB profile under ‘EP Resources’, if there are any additional questions once reviewing the Member Guide please contact EP@eco.ca.

    How do I get a new Mark’s Work Warehouse card if mine has expired?

    Please email EP@eco.ca with your request and ensure your mailing address is up to date in your CECAB profile www.cecab.org.

    How do I get a new member card if mine has expired?

    To retrieve a new member card please log into your CECAB profile at www.cecab.org where you may print a new card under the ‘EP Resources’ tab.

    Where can I find the receipts for my membership fees paid?

    In your CECAB profile under the ‘Payment’ link at the top you may retrieve all of your previous invoices.

    How can I update my contact information?

    To update your contact information please log into your CECAB profile at www.cecab.org.

    I noticed my certificate expires soon what should I do?

    If you have not yet been contacted by the certification staff in regards to your upcoming term renewal please contact EP@eco.ca and we will provide guidance on how to renew. Before reaching out to the certification staff it is a good idea to brush up on member requirements outlined in the Member Guide in your CECAB profile.

    When do I renew my membership?

    Membership fees are due on the first of April on an annual basis. The next renewal deadline will be April 1, 2017.

    What should I do if I am going on a maternity leave or a leave of absence from work and will not be practicing as an EP?

    During maternity leave you status is non-practicing. As a non-practicing EP you are not required to provide any professional development. Please contact EP@eco.ca and certification staff will send the required form to be completed while you are a non-practicing EP.

    What if I cannot afford the membership renewal fee?

    Please contact EP@eco.ca as in special circumstances certification staff may be able to arrange a partially deferred payment structure.