Aquatic Ecologist – Technical Lead
GHD is one of the world’s leading professional services companies operating in the global markets of water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation.
Privately owned by our people, GHD provides engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services to private and public sector clients across five continents. Focused on creating lasting community benefit, our connected global network of 10,000 people deliver projects with high standards of safety, quality and ethics.
Private ownership means that together with our clients we control our own destiny. You have the opportunity to share in this opportunity and we want to invest in your future because we know the future lies with you.
Our environment has changed rapidly in the last century. The impact of industry, urbanization, economy and population growth continues to ripple throughout the globe. Now more than ever, there is a strong need to address and learn from our past in order to protect our environment into the future.
This is where you come in! We are seeking an Aquatic Ecologist – Technical Lead to join our Waterloo, ON team of environmental leaders and “lifelong learners” who improve our physical, social and natural environments, empower our local communities, and collectively shape the world around us.
With a network of over 1,000 environmental professionals throughout North America who are driven to achieve; you’ll have the autonomy and opportunity to learn from industry leaders and discover your path. Our industry leaders have strong community ties with in-depth aquatic knowledge and a portfolio of expansive projects throughout North America.
As a Business and Technical Lead, you will be involved in providing both private and public clients with excellent strategic and technical guidance and navigation of the natural environment regulatory framework. You will also be involved in the supervision of, and collaboration with, other ecology team members across North America. This is a key lead position with responsibility for growing our natural science business that will provide leadership, mentorship, career development, and financial acumen to our Ecology team.
The successful candidate will:
• Champion relationships with both internal (GHD) clients and GHD’s external clients in Ontario and across North America
• Provide technical leadership on natural environment components of Environmental Assessments, Environmental Impact Studies, Natural Heritage Studies, Cumulative Effects Assessments
• Lead the development of proposals, work plans, and reporting as well as permit, authorization, and offsetting approvals (DFO, MECP, Conservation Authorities, SARA, etc.)
• Work with peers, intermediate and junior staff in all aspects of project work, fostering an energetic and collaborative environment
• Supervise and mentor staff to execute positive business outcomes and foster career development for team
• Coordinate technical resources and personnel to achieve timely delivery of multiple projects
• Successful candidate will be energized by a dynamic work environment with opportunities for team leadership and career growth
• Occasional travel to sites, primarily in Ontario
• Lead field investigations (infrequent, if/as required)
Skills, Competencies and Qualifications:
• Bachelor's Degree in Biology including Fisheries, Aquatic Ecology, Natural Resource Management or related field
• Post-graduate degree and/or PMP designations are assets
• Minimum 8 years consulting experience leading natural science/ecology projects in Ontario throughout multiple industries within a consulting firm or a minimum 3 years in a senior environmental leadership role in public or private industry
• Ideal candidate will have experience in the application of natural environment consulting for provincial or federal Environmental Assessments and impact assessments and in at least one of transportation, linear infrastructure, natural asset valuation, sediment and/or land development sectors
• Proven project and client management skills; strong sense of business acumen
• Proven leadership skills
• Experience conducting field work, and willingness to travel to undertake field work as required (field demands can include working long hours, working in inclement weather conditions, and lifting up to 50 lbs)
• Experience managing multiple tasks while maintaining a high degree of attention to detail in a demanding consulting environment
• Excellent technical skills in fisheries, aquatic habitats, benthic invertebrates and/or aquatic fauna
• MTO RAQs certified for Fisheries an asset
• Experience with delivery of aquatic ecology services in other regions of North America is an asset
• Must be flexible with project types and responsibilities
• Experience working with Indigenous communities an asset
• Must be proficient with Microsoft Office, excellent English writing and verbal communication is required to effectively express technical information to multiple audiences including clients, agencies, subcontractors, field staff, clients, colleagues, etc.
• Excellent report and proposal writing skills
• Valid driver's license (an MVR check will be performed prior to hire)
• Positive attitude, extraordinary communication and interpersonal skills
We offer a professional working environment and culture and believe that work / life balance is critical to the success and happiness of our people. We also offer competitive salary packages based on qualifications, skills and experience.
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, GHD will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.