Vancouver, BC or Ottawa, ON
1-year contract with potential for permanent opportunity
ESSA Technologies Ltd. (ESSA) is an employee-owned Canadian environmental consulting company with offices in British Columbia and Ontario. We envision a world where creativity, a focus on learning, and systems thinking are the foundation of solutions to environmental challenges. Our corporate mission is to “bring together people, science and analytical tools to sustain healthy ecosystems and human communities”. We achieve this mission by helping clients deal with tough, emerging problems, by applying a thorough evaluation of evidence, and by exploring innovative solutions for a more sustainable world. Learn more about us at www.essa.com.
At ESSA, we are passionate about what we do and enjoy working with professionals who share our values and mission. ESSA’s staff are problem solvers, big-picture thinkers, evidence driven, creative, and innovative, motivated by an aspiration to become trusted advisors to our clients and make a difference in the world.
We are seeking a motivated, service-oriented, resourceful, independent, and highly skilled Research Assistant to support our domestic and international teams based on a 12-month contract with an opportunity for permanent placement and room for advancement. The successful candidate will support senior staff and projects that focus on:
Research and Support
• Involving challenging projects in varying contexts across North America and internationally.
• Working on a wide range of environmental issues including adaptive management, fisheries management, aquatic and terrestrial habitat assessment and restoration, environmental impact assessment, water resources management, and climate change adaptation.
• Developing research plans to meet the tailored needs of diverse projects.
• Writing and contributing to project reports including research, information synthesis (e.g., literature review), and reference management.
• Leveraging existing scientific literature, engagement surveys, and computer tools to support research.
• Coordinating contributions and formatting of complex multi-author reports within project deadlines.
• Supporting the development of presentations of project research and outputs.
• Archiving, cataloguing, and organizing research for future use by the team.
• Using a variety of tools to support technical facilitation and participatory engagement.
• Data wrangling, data mining, and basic statistical analysis in Excel (preferably in R).
• Contributing to the development of training materials in adaptive management.
• Supporting the team to develop proposals and marketing materials.
• Support ESSA’s Project and Marketing Coordinator on circulating bid opportunities to the team for future business development.